1 lb ground beef (grass fed, if you can)
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 medium sweet peppers , diced (I used 1 red, 1 green)
- 2 medium/large sweet potatoes, peeled and medium diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 29 oz (2 CANS) diced tomatoes, NO sugar added or 4 large fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar ( I used Bragg’s)
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper (you can use 2 Tbsp chili powder instead for a kick and/or 1 tsp chipotle chili powder…CAUTION, chipotle chili powder is SPICY))
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano or (2 Tbsp fresh & chopped)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- pepper, to taste
- cilantro, for garnish
- Heat dutch oven or large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and let it brown. Drain off any excess fat.
- Add diced onion, peppers, sweet potato and garlic to the pan. Season with sea salt & pepper. Let everything saute for about 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add the spices to the pot, stir to cover vegetables. This is a mild/medium heat, so spice it up now if you want more heat. Let mixture saute for about 5 minutes, keep an eye that it does not burn on. This step is important to let the spices roast and combine with other ingredients.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the pan, use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom & sides of pan where most of the flavor is!
- Add the diced tomatoes and stir everything together.
- Or you can cover and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer with the lid cracked for at least 20 minutes…more time, more flavor!
- ( I transfer all my ingredients into my slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours)
- Season with additional sea salt & pepper, if desired
- Garnish with cilantro, if desired