- 3/4 cup white sugar ( I used 1/2 cup and muffins were still sweet enough)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites (or 2 eggs)
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour ( I use 3/4 cup whole wheat & 3/4 cup King Arthur unbleached all purpose)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder ( I use the kind without aluminum)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease and flour muffin pan or use paper liners.
- Mix sugar, oil, eggs. Add pumpkin and water. In separate bowl mix together the baking flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt.. Add wet mixture and stir in chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Alternative—You can also use this recipe as a loaf, just pour the batter in a greased loaf pan and bake at 400 degrees, it may take a few more minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center, if it comes out clean, it is done.