Dog treats without any junk in them are either hard to find or very expensive, so I decided to experiment and make my own! My dog Copper seems to really love them…hope your best doggie friend loves them too! I researched all the ingredients and they all have great benefits for dogs! Let me know what you think.
Prep Time 25 minutes Cook Time 30 minutes Total Time 50 minutes
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup millet flour
- 3 cups brown rice flour, or more, as needed
- 2 TBS molasses
- 2 TBS ground flax seed
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp AIM traditional BarleyLife powder ( you can use more as you dog gets used to it)
- ¼ cup warm water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment,
beat pumpkin puree, peanut butter and eggs, molasses, flax seed, BarleyLife powder, olive oil & warm water on medium-high until well combined, about 1 minute. Gradually add 2 1/2 cups flours at low speed, beating just until incorporated. Add an additional 1/4 cup flour at a time just until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces and work on 1/3 at a time.
Using a rolling pin, (I use a layer of parchment paper between rolling pin & dough too) roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on counter top or flour area with a gluten free flour, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out desired
shapes (dipping the cutters into gluten flour flour often keeps the dough from sticking)
- Place on prepared baking sheets
- Place in oven and bake until the edges are golden brown, about 25-30 minutes.* Check every 5 minutes after 20.
- Let cool completely.
NOTES *Baking time will vary depending on the size and thickness of the treats. Serving size will also vary depending on the desired shapes and cookie cutters used.
Using my small dog bone cutter, this recipe made about 9 dozen (1 inch) cookies.