I was looking for a way to substitute beans in my traditional chili recipe. My husband went on line and together we looked at a few. Here is our “tweaked” version. We added what works for us and took out what didn’t. All the colors make it a great visual for the palate too! This is on the mild/medium spice level.
Full of vegetables and flavor!
- 1 lb ground beef (grass fed, if you can)
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 medium sweet peppers , diced (I used 1 red, 1 green)
- 2 medium/large sweet potatoes, peeled and medium diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 29 oz (2 CANS) diced tomatoes, NO sugar added or 4 large fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar ( I used Bragg’s)
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper (you can use 2 Tbsp chili powder instead for a kick and/or 1 tsp chipotle chili powder…CAUTION, this one is SPICY))
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano or (2 Tbsp fresh & chopped)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- pepper, to taste
- cilantro, for garnish
- Heat dutch oven or large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and let it brown. Drain off any excess fat.
- Add diced onion, peppers, sweet potato and garlic to the pan. Season with sea salt & pepper. Let everything saute for about 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add the spices to the pot, stir to cover vegetables. Let mixture saute for about 5 minutes, keep an eye that it does not burn on. This step is important to let the spices roast and combine with other ingredients.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the pan, use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom & sides of pan where most of the flavor is!
- Add the diced tomatoes and stir everything together.
- ( I transfer all my ingredients into my slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Or you can cover and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer with the lid cracked for at least 20 minutes…more time, more flavor!
- Season with additional sea salt & pepper, if desired
- Garnish with cilantro, if desired
Follow my blog at myfatherswellness.wordpress.com
Posted in Gluten Free, Healthy Living, Nutrition, Paleo, Recipes, Uncategorized
Tagged apple cider vinegar, cayenne pepper, chili, chili recipe, gluten free, ground beef, healthy eating, Paleo, sweet potato, sweet potatoes
Neutralizing Ash with Acidifying Effect
- Refined Sugar Olive Oil Corn Syrup Corn Syrup
White sugar, fats, oils, syrups, as well as some other processed and synthetic foods, leave no ash after being metabolized. However, the body does have to work and fast to metabolize them, producing a surge of energy after eating them. With this energy also comes a lot of acid. Therefore these foods, while leaving no ash have an acidifying effect.
The body must neutralize the acids from acid foods. If not enough alkaline ash foods are eaten to do this, the body will draw on its alkaline reserve. This alkaline reserve is made up of the minerals sodium, potassium and calcium primarily, with iron and magnesium as secondary sources. These reserves are stored in the liver, muscle and bone and are called upon when required to release their stores. Over time these reserves can become severely depleted causing liver problems, gallstones, flabby muscles and osteoporosis.
Unfortunately, very few people eat the kind of diet that would maintain the alkaline reserve. A diet consisting of about 75% fruits and vegetables would be ideal to neutralize the remaining 25% of the diet containing acid ash foods. In reality surveys show that on any day 40% of the population eat no fruits and 20% eat no vegetables at all.
Contact me for a free pH test Tami@MyFathersWellness.com
References: Your Health, Your Choice by Dr. M. Ted Morter, Jr., M.A.: http://life.familyeducation.com/protein/foods/48678.html#ixzz1GKHRo700
Posted in Healthy Living
Tagged alkaline reserve, flabby muscles, gallstones, health & wellness, healthy eating, healthy living, iron, osteoporosis, potassium and calcium, Rex Russell, sodium, weight management