Our bodies are alkaline by design by function. Blood, lymph, extracellular fluid, cerebrospinal fluid, etc., should all be alkaline—except for the parietal cells in the stomach as they secrete hydrochloric acid. Cells may operate in alkaline environment, yet produce acid as a by-product of their activity. This acid is not damaging because it is natural to how our bodies work and it is a weak acid that can be eliminated by the lungs quite easily. There is another type of acid however that is stronger and is not so easily dealt with. This acid results from eating acid ash foods and it needs to be neutralized before it can be eliminated by the kidneys or it will damage tissue and cells as it exits our bodies…such a grand design by our wonderful creator!
You may be wondering, what is ash? I am thinking about the ash that is in a fireplace or what is left in the fire pit after a campfire—well, kind of…After food is broken down, absorbed through the small intestine and then metabolized, there is a small fraction that is not utilized, this is described as ash. The pH of this ash is not necessarily the same as the food that it comes from. A lemon, for instance, is a very acidic fruit with a pH of 2.5 and 3. Yet it leaves an alkaline ash of pH 9. Sugar tastes sweet and seems harmless enough, and although it does not leave an acid ash—the body does have to work fast to metabolize them, producing a surge of energy and with this energy also comes a lot of acid.
On the whole, fruits and vegetables leave an alkaline ash while most other foods (eggs, grains, animal protein, and dairy products) leave an acid ash.
Check out more of my blogs at http://www.MyFathersWellness.com